My journal pages are my conversations with God! The other day I was writing out my thoughts and feelings on my recent disappointments. I had a few moments when the negative thoughts were reigning supreme in my head. I asked God what do I do when the ache in my heart won’t go away? What do you do when you can no longer hide behind the numbness of it all? God what do I do when I can’t seem to practice what I preach? And literally in the midst of my conversation with God the thought crossed my mind…PRACTICE GRATITUDE. In the midst of life’s disappointments, practice gratitude. So immediately in the middle of my rant to God I shifted gears and began my blue gratitude. It happened like this: Today I am thankful for…
-my ability to always bounce back
-my sista Asha
my sista Tuyeni
-the dedication of my parents
-the opportunity and means to travel
-my love for people
-my ability to see the light at the end of the tunnel
-my self awareness
-Beyonce, Rihanna,Mama Erykah Badu, India Arie
-a great book
-my dog Kenzie
-making it through August of last year without a mental break down
-staying sane after all the shit I’ve seen
-my new found love of self
-my ability to be vulnerable
-being able to type this post
-and so much more
So today or whenever you are feeling blue, try practicing blue gratitude! Let’s start now, Today I am thankful for…
So…What is it that you do? Post-college in D.C had to be some of the most rewarding yet intense years of my life. The dreadful small talk at social/networking events was enough to make me have an eat, pray, love year!
What do you do? Registered in my mind as: What’s your title? Why are you important? Who are you? Do you really matter?
Often times in our western society we place value on how people classify themselves based on employment. “Oh, I have a law degree. I’m a doctor. I teach in the inner city. I’m a staffer for a notable congressman. I’m studying to get my Ph.D.” Which all translates to ” Hello, I matter! I have spent hella money on a piece of paper to be important to somebody!”
Now, by no means am I discrediting my educated peers, I myself have a degree and have fully exploited the privileges I paid for! But what happens when that degree doesn’t land you the job of your dreams? When your executive title has been snatched away from you at your corporate job. When you can’t answer with confidence and pride the question, So what do you do?
Who are you beyond that job? This is where it gets tricky. For many of us, we live for the moment after graduation and the 3-4 year struggle post undergrad and graduate school to say exactly what it is we “DO”.
You know the one, it’s “That job”. The one that felt right during the interview. The one that matched your skill set perfectly. The one you felt you could grow with. The one your parents were proud of. The one that offered that salary increase you dreamed of. When you lose it, what is next? What do we do when we loose the job that offered such security before?
WE LET IT GO!
Here is a Quick tip for letting go of “that job”: Practice gratitude
In the midst of a reclined job offer or dismissal from a company, nothing soothes the pain better than a dose of gratitude. Reflect on what you learned while working with this company. Determine your new set of demands for the next place of employment. Determine if working for someone else is what you truly desire. Identify the skills you brought to the table and ones that you picked up along the way. Be thankful for the opportunity to have that experience and a job that carried you thus far. Re-focus your energy in a positive direction through gratitude as you set out on your next employment adventure!
For more information on “The Art of Letting Go” check out my new e-course: abeo-education.teachable.com
“I’m an orange moon. I’m brighter than before, brighter. Reflecting the light of the sun.”~Queen Mother Badu
Last night was a full moon! To some, that means nothing, to me and all the folks that acknowledge the power of nature realize it’s everything. Take a second and really reflect on all that centers around the moon’s energetic pull.
Don’t worry I’ll wait…go ahead, google it!
Personally, the full moon always is the 1st or 4th day of my blood rites cycle so I pay close attention during this time because this is usually when my means of communication fall by the wayside. The cancer in me is in full swing and my emotions and intuition are #lit! So I take time, every full moon to honor myself and what is good in the world. This full moon was in Libra( sidenote: shout out to a special Libra in my life K.A). They call it the Pink Moon! So in honor of the full moon and my blood rites, I did a little self-love ritual last night!
- Sea salt ( so many types, just choose one)
- herb mixture ( Got my mix from Mama Bessie’s Place(Charlotte, N.C, it’s her Sweetwater’s 21 herbs mix! But honestly pick what you like, what you feel called to have. Usually, some sort of rose is always involved in my mixtures)
- Water ( temperature to fit you, I like it hot, Caliente!
- Candles( I prefer white and yellow, but again choose what you feel called to have)
- Mood setters: Now I love to romance myself so a playlist is a must for me. I also am the sticky note queen so those were a must for me as well! AGAIN, whatever you need to feel add it in!
- Set an intention: What do you want to gain from this alone time? Do you want peace? Are you re-charging your soul? Are you kick-starting a new wave? Are you relaxing and detoxifying your body? Are you celebrating all the good in you and the world? Whatever it is, be CLEAR about it. This intention WILL BE YOUR MEDITATION FOCUS.
- Set your space: Here is where you say a prayer making knowN what your intention is in this space. Infuse the space with this intention. For me, here is where my sticky notes come in handy! I post my intention and what I am calling on and celebrating in that space.( pics will be provided)
- Run your water( to your temperature of choice) and add in your sea salt. You want to give it enough time for the salt to melt into the water.
- Add your herbs to the water( note: you should be speaking your intention into this water aloud or softly in your head as your add these herbs)
- Light your candles and start your playlist. Make sure you have one candle that is in your eyesight.
- Step in and let the water take you! This is my favorite part!!!! I sit, I soak, I let the herbs soothe me, I play, I sing along, I love me in this space!
- Candle gaze: Take at least 5-10 min to focus your attention on the flame of the candle in your eyes view. Literally, for 5-10 minutes watch the flame and be mindful of your intention.
- When you are ready, slowly get out of the tub, wrap yourself in a white towel, let the water out. Don’t worry about cleaning, do that tomorrow!
- Go to sleep and let your subconscious take you!
- FOR THE EXTRA FOLK: Finally, THIS IS NOT REQUIRED BUT I DO IT. Go outside and sit under the full moon. Let the light of it bless you! Acknowledge the force/power/create such an intricate yet simple thing such as the moon. Acknowledge your God self! Say thank you for life! In my Color Purple voice “I”m here”!
That’s it! Pics provided below! Be on the look out for my New Moon Ritual as well! What can I say yall, I love the moon!
Check out my new E-course: The Art of Letting Go!
Available Now: Go to abeoeducation.com